Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Energy Saver

Yesterday we had a speaker come to our school to teach us about conserving energy in our homes. She worked at Westar Energy so it was odd to me that she would want us to conserve energy instead of using more energy but she gave us some pretty good tips on how to not use as much energy in our homes. The biggest energy monster in homes is flat screen tvs. The second biggest energy monster would probably be the refrigerator. She told us that the best way to make sure the tv doesn't use as much energy is to simply unplug it while your not using it. You can also unplug everything else in your house while your not using it to conserve energy. We all have cell phones and we all use cell phone chargers to charge our phones, but none realizes that by leaving your cell phone charger plugged in the wall that your actually using energy for nothing. She encouraged us to find ways to conserve energy in our homes and I plan on taking her advice to unplug my cell phone charger from the wall every morning before I leave for school since im not even going to be using it. I also want to encourage my mom to unplug our huge flat screen when we're not using it to save more energy that's being waisted. We've already started coserving energy in our home by making sure all of the lights are off in our room before we go to school, my mom threatened us by saying if she found our lights on while we were at school she'd take all of our light bulbs out so we'd have to live in the dark. I think this methods really working because me and my sister never leave our lights on anymore when we're not in our room. I think the tips she gave us will really help my family in conserving energy and educating the public about our tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Terracycle on Dipity

Scientific American - Energy & Sustainability